Wednesday 11 June 2014

Jersey Pencil Skirt

I made a skirt.

No biggie.

Psyche! I'm majorly excited that I made a piece of clothing! That I can wear! On the regular!

I used this tutorial at first, though I modified it a little bit by adding an elastic waistband at the top that I LOVE.

Notes for myself for next time -

  • I'm tall - so I need to extend it by a few inches by taking into account how much hemming I'll be doing. It ends just above my knee and I'd wanted it below the knee.
  • Making a paper pattern instead of drawing freehand for a beginner makes so much more sense. Especially if I want to extend it. My two sides were slightly different, so my side seams are kind of ruffly/bubbly as a result.
  • Even if you think you have curves for days, this will not translate well when drawing on stretchy material. Be more conservative in your drawing - it will definitely compensate.
  • Sew the elastic on the outside, not on the inside. It looks much nicer.
  • Trying it on with pins in = major ow-ow.
  • Stretchy fabric isn't the easiest to work with for a beginner, but it's entirely possible. 
  • Stretch stitch for stretchy materials!
  • Read your manual so you know what your stretch stitch actually is.
  • Sewing is totally awesome.
The biggest mistake I made was sewing the elastic on the inside of the waistband, so it's slightly covered when I should have sewed it to the outside, like on your knickers.

If you want to go and check, I'll wait.

This is what it looks like on the outside. This should be inside.
This beautiful example of sewing is unfortunately hidden on the inside and
should CLEARLY be on the outside, for all to see and MARVEL.


3 comments:

  1. I cannot believe I published this without a picture! I will upload them tonight and only half a bowl of ice cream as punishment :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! It will make my day :)