Wednesday 13 July 2011

My Sister's (Hair) Keeper

So my family were off to celebrate my uncle's birthday and the Littlest Sis demanded asked if I could assist her with her hair.

I actually LOVE playing in her hair because 1. She lets me and 2. She almost never ever complains.

Plus, unlike when I do my own hair, I can see what I'm doing. It's pure bliss.

I decided that a flat twist out would be the order of the day for my far more glamourous little sister.

I divided her hair into two sections - the top and the bottom.

I tied away with the top and then did four big vertical flat twists on the bottom and when I'd completed them, did the same on the top section. Then I rolled the ends on my funky instant-fun-in-a-packet neon rollers.

Yeah, she's reading the Lush Times....darn product junkie that she is!

Product wise, I think I used some (heavily) diluted Tresemmé Naturals conditioner as de-tangler and leave in and combined it with our newest purchase of Lush's R&B moisturiser and sealant - we went past one a couple of days before, got hooked in by the smell and then couldn't resist purchasing something.

I say 'our' purchase, but being glamourous also seems to mean that the Littlest Sis is permanently broke, so....

Anyhoo. I left it for about an hour and a half (we were in a rush) and then when the hectic atmosphere got too much, I had to pull out the hair dryer to try and persuade the roots that dry was the way to go. I kept it really far away from her head (about 6 inches) and on a low heat, since she has half relaxed and half natural hair and I'm mortally afraid of heat (I don't know if she's transitioning or not. Heck, I don't think she knows!).


We tried to do some pin curls on the front, but we hated them. So we combed them out.

I melted a small bit of coconut oil in my hand and then gently clapped it onto the twists before unravelling them.



Genuinely, the pictures don't do it justice.  I was in envy at the shape because it somehow wound up looking really cute and bob like and I was blown over.
I'll pretend it's my handiwork but she's just really fortunate! It's especially galling considering I hadn't had time to do my hair and ended up with a scarf and a ponytail. 
Her hair was actually amazing.

..until my mum went at it with a brush to 'comb it out'. BAM! Instant puff ball. I have no photographic evidence because I was too distraught at the destruction of my masterpiece and the Littlest Sis was fuming and refused to pose for most photos.

So just take my word for it.

2 comments:

  1. Hilarious! That part about your mom "combing it out" sounds just like something my mom would do.

    There.is.no.combing.of.coily.hair.after.style.is.set.

    The end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were indeed tears - mainly mine!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! It will make my day :)