Friday 22 April 2011

End of a Ban

So my buying ban finished the day I got my student loan. Worked out how much rent I needed to pay, how much food I was going to eat (a lot) and then got to buying.

At first, I was going to get mental and get EVERYTHING that had been on my wishlist for the last year. That would have cost me just shy of £100.

My mind said yes....but my pockets said HELL NO!

So I decided to approach this carefully: What products did I *need*? And would not forget about in a hurry?

I took advantage of the 20% off at skinnutrition.co.uk to get some Giovanni Direct Leave-In...and it was free shipping for orders  over £10...so I got two.

I'd wanted to get a Creamy Café Latte for Lady V to try on the ends of her hair, so that if she liked it, I could get her the big one as part of her birthday present. I got some strengthening herbs as well from Anita Grant, since  they're around £2 each and she has free shipping. 

I really hate shipping costs.

However, all of that still had to be posted to me and that meant I had to wait for it, so for some instant gratification and to try and strengthen my hair, I got some Cassia as well for £2.40. 

Hollands and Barretts were having a buy one get one for a penny sale so I stocked up on the essentials - Aloe Vera Gel and Coconut Oil. 

The Faerie also picked up some Aloe Vera Gel and Manuka Honey (a teaspoon of which we put into our next body butter concoction. We didn't want to put too much in so that we confused the bees, who are having a hard enough time as it is). 

In total:

Giovanni Direct Leave In x2 (500ml): £12.78
Irish Moss (25g): £2.45
Coltsfoot: (25g): £1.95
Marshmallow Root: (25g): £1.95
Burdock Root (25g): £1.95
Creamy Café Latte (15g): £1.90
Discount Code: - £1.50
Cassia (90g): £2.40
Coconut Oil x 2 (906g): £12.96
Aloe Vera Gel (400ml): £6.00

Total: £42.86

I know it looks like a lot, but the coconut oil and aloe vera gel also double up in my body butter and face moisturiser and all of this stuff will literally last me a year, if not more. It works out at £3.58 per month for an entire year, which is actually under my budget of £5 per month. Also, I know I can get coconut oil for cheaper in my Indian stores, for about £2 instead of £12 but...I don't know. I've used it before and I prefer the H&B version. In my opinion, it doesn't melt as easy and smells better.

Yes, I know I blatantly disregard my frugal roots.

Allow me my snobbery!

5 comments:

  1. How long do your strengthening herbs last for? I looked on Anita Grant and the amounts stipulated in the recipes make me think I'd only get one or two uses out of them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, I haven't used them yet, since I'm such a massive procrastinator.

    I don't reckon they'll last me a year, but hopefully a few months...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to say thanks for the heads up on the discount on Giovanni at Skin Nutrition. I did what you did and got two to take advantage of the free shipping! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I hope you enjoy the happy-dance moment of receiving the package as much as I did. Have you tried it before or are you just trying it out for the first time?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I *did* do the happy-dance! First time using it. I'm impressed at how a little goes a long way - but I'm not sure it's right for my hair. Either way, you can only know when you try, so...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! It will make my day :)