Wednesday 12 January 2011

Egg Hair Glaze Treatment

I did this treatment with my twists still in.

That's how I roll (figgy style).

If you're not a fan of egg, of your hair doesn't need that much protein, replace it with 50g of coconut cream (that doesn't have bits in it...something I made a mistake with a while back O_O). 
If you're using Blue Dragon brand, I think the UHT is the one without bits, but the Creamed Coconut definitely has bits. You can find it cheaper in 'ethnic' or Asian food based shops.


Ask me how I know.

My scalp was on fire from trying out a shampoo that wasn't so great for my hair, so first I did a scalp scrub, then a medium-strength protein treatment. It consisted of:

Egg - contains protein to strengthen the hair
Coconut Oil - To nourish the hair
Olive Oil - For kicks - and nourishment/sealing in of moisture into the hair shaft
You can also add any essential oils, if you like, though that will negate the emergency Omelette measure.

- 1 egg
- Half a tablespoon of coconut oil
- Half a teaspoon of olive oil.


  • Beat the ingredients together in a bowl (for those in colder climates, you may want to gently melt the coconut oil on a radiator or something - if you heat it at too high a heat, you may end up cooking the egg and denaturing the protein you need. If you do end up doing that: Emergency Omelette time!)
  • Apply to hair, especially focusing on the ends and the length of the hair, where they'll be more porous due to natural wear and tear over time.
  • The time you leave it on depends on your hair's tolerance to protein.
    If it's just for maintenance and you have high porosity, five minutes should be more than enough.
    If you have low porosity hair, you may want to leave it on for a bit long (about 10 - 15 minutes).
    Since my hair has been neglected *guilty look*, is low porosity and seems to adore protein, I left it on for half an hour.
  • Rinse out with cool/tepid/lukewarm water - anything hotter may cook the egg in your hair. When all you have is a non removable shower head, this bit is definitely the hardest but it's bearable.
  • Moisturise your hair, seal and then go ^_^

Obviously, this is not one to touch if your hair isn't a fan of protein, because a lot of people can find that the protein in the egg is too much for their hair.

It was my first time putting egg on my hair, and it seemed to me that every time someone on a forum mentioned putting egg on their hair, the words 'crunchy' 'crispy' and 'stiff' came shortly after.

Like they're talking about Chinese food or something. Egg rolls anyone?

Anyhoo, I was preparing myself for crunchy hair.

But my hair's a lot happier now. I think it was over moisturised, because it felt really lank and yuk.

This is a very drippy conditioner though, so be warned:


It run down my neck, and then dried into this shiny glazing, hence the name.

If your hair is trying to recover from quite a bit of damage, or you're preparing to affect it somehow (colouring, flat ironing etc) this might be a good one to try out.

2 comments:

  1. Ive heard of egg treatments, my hair is a wee bit damaged at the front so I deep condition there quite often. Ive done something similar to this before but I think Ill revisit this method =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might work, you never know.
    I try and deep condition somehow on a weekly basis, but I always forget - too excited to go food shopping, that's my problem!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! It will make my day :)